4/28/2009

New Scottish TV drama

I can't take my eyes off of the RSPB's Loch Garten osprey nestcam. It's better than Eastenders! The female, EJ, is a regular to the area and she arrived back in Loch Garten on March 25. Only this year, she's got herself a new mystery man! Odin turned up on the scene on April 3, untagged and unannounced. The RSPB say they have no idea where he came from or how old he is but is treating EJ right and obviously knows how to romance the ladies. When I first began watching the nestcam not much was happening, as you might expect. EJ was snuggling up on top of her newly laid eggs. There was no sign of Odin, but it was only a matter of time before he made an appearance. I was multi-tasking at the time and, not being a woman, I'm not very good at it. But I think Odin took over nest-guarding duties to let EJ get out and stretch her wings. They were both shuffling around in the nest before one of them took to they skies. They really are amazing birds. The RSPB reckon the couples' eggs should hatch in about 5-6 weeks, so stay tuned.